Nominations for Outstanding PhD Dissertation In Buddhist Studies, Asia will be accepted October 1-December 31, 2017
The Khyentse Foundation Award for Outstanding PhD Dissertation in Buddhist Studies, Asia is an $8,000 prize awarded every two years to a doctoral dissertation in the field of Buddhist studies written in China, Hong Kong, or Taiwan during the previous two academic years. The dissertation must be based on original research in the relevant primary language(s), and it should significantly advance our understanding of the subject or Buddhist scriptures studied.
Accredited institutions that offer PhD programs in Buddhist studies or religious studies in China, Hong Kong, and Taiwan are invited to nominate one dissertation that was completed during the academic year 2015–16 or 2016–17.
- The dissertation may be written in Chinese or in English.
- Nomination period: October 1 through December 31, 2017.
- Announcement of winning dissertation: June 30, 2018.
- The award consists of US$8,000 to enable the recipient to further his or her research.
Nominations must be accompanied by four separate documents:
- Letter of recommendation by a member of the faculty and/or the chair of the department or institution
- Summary of the dissertation (not more than 2 pages)
- One representative chapter of the dissertation
- Full contact information for the department and for the author of the dissertation
These documents should be submitted by email to firstname.lastname@example.org. A four-person committee will select three dissertations to be read in their entirety by all committee members. The committee’s decision will be announced by June 30 of the following year.
Past winners of the award include Dr. Chao Tung-Ming of National Taiwan University (2014); Dr. Jens Wilhelm Borgland of University of Oslo and Dr. David Higgins of the University of Lausanne (2015); Mao Yufan of the Chinese University of Hong Kong (2016); and Christopher V. Jones of St Peter’s College, Oxford University (2017).
If circumstances permit, the recipient of the award will be invited to give a lecture based on his or her dissertation at an institution selected by Khyentse Foundation.