Nominations for Outstanding PhD Dissertation In Buddhist Studies, Asia will be accepted October 1-December 31, 2015
Khyentse Foundation’s Award for Outstanding Dissertations in Buddhist Studies Asia is an $8,000 prize awarded every two years to an outstanding PhD dissertation in the field of Buddhist studies written in China, Hong Kong, or Taiwan during the previous two academic years. The dissertation must be based on original research in the relevant primary language(s), and it should significantly advance our understanding of the subject or Buddhist scriptures studied.
Accredited institutions that offer PhD programs in Buddhist studies or religious studies in China, Hong Kong, and Taiwan are invited to nominate one dissertation that was completed during the academic year 2013–14 or 2014–15.
- The dissertation may be written in Chinese or in English.
- Nomination period: October 1 through December 31, 2015.
- Announcement of winning dissertation: June 30, 2016.
- The award will consist of US$8,000 to enable the recipient to further his or her research.
Nominations must be accompanied by four separate documents:
- Letter of recommendationby a member of the faculty and/or the chair of the department or institution;
- Summaryof the dissertation (not more than 2 pages);
- One representative chapter of the dissertation;
- Full contact information for the department and for the author of the dissertation.
These documents should be submitted by email to email@example.com.
A four-person committee will select three dissertations to be read in their entirety by all committee members. The committee’s decision will be announced by June 30 of the following year.
The first winner of the KF Award for Outstanding PhD Dissertation in Buddhist Studies was Dr. Chao Tung-Ming of National Taiwan University. Dr. Chao’s dissertation, “A Study of Fundamental Transformation in the Cheng Weishi Lun and Kuiji’s Commentaries,” is a rigorous, in-depth analysis of the Chinese Yogācāra School of Buddhism that has been well received by Buddhist academics.
If circumstances permit, the recipient of the award will be invited to give a lecture based on his or her dissertation at an institution selected by Khyentse Foundation.